Social Skills Coach
Bournemouth & Poole College has an exciting opportunity for a Social Skills Coach to join their team. This is a full time, term time only role offering a competitive salary of £19,978 pro rata.
Bournemouth & Poole College are the largest provider of further education and apprentices within the area. We have around 11,000 students that are from across the UK and the world. Our passion is to ensure students are qualified, find jobs and can progress in their career. We are proud to say our apprenticeships training ranks in the top 30% of colleges and we work with over 2,000 business.
The Social Skills Coach Role:
To provide comprehensive and dynamic cross-college support focused on improving the social skills and emotional health of high-needs students that have identified social, emotional and mental health difficulties (SEMH).
Promote and develop expertise of all staff within the college through training, staff guidance and role modelling.
As our Social Skills Coach you will:
- Take responsibility for managing a caseload of students that have identified SEMH needs as detailed in their Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP)
- Provide high quality support to young people and adults with SEMH difficulties
- To ensure interventions meet the SEMH provision and outcomes stated in students’ Education, Health and Care Plans
- Work collaboratively with all colleagues to support and provide advice regarding complex needs
- Liaise with all professionals and relatives as appropriate to ensure best practice in coproduction of student support plans
- Provide professional input to consultation responses for relevant prospective students
- Contribute to and deliver staff training (including induction training and workshops)
- Liaise with local professional SEMH networks to maximise use of relevant professional networks, resources and training
- Recognise own professional boundaries and seek advice and support as necessary
- Always act in a way that ensures the respect, dignity and right to privacy of students
- Uphold and promote the College’s vision, values and mission
- Ensure compliance with all college policies and procedures, as well as relevant professional standards and SEN code of practice
- Participate in the College’s appraisal process and undertaking any training as appropriate
The ideal Social Skills Coach will need:
- Knowledge and understanding of social, emotional and mental health support needs of young people who have learning difficulties/disabilities
- Ability to relate to and motivate young people and staff from diverse backgrounds
- A broad knowledge of the issues facing young people in post-16 education
- Knowledge of external support service
- Recent experience of designing and delivering interventions to meet SEMH needs of young people
- Experience of working as an effective member of a team within an education setting
- Experience of advocating on behalf of others to ensure positive outcomes
- Experience in liaising effectively with colleagues and external agencies
- Level 2 in English and Maths
- A relevant Level 3 qualification eg Psychology/Youth work/Social care
Benefits will include:
- 26 days annual leave plus bank holidays, increasing to 29 after 5 years' service with the College
- up to 5 days leave during the Christmas closure period
- Free parking at all of our college sites (where spaces are available)
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Enrolment into the Local Government Pension Scheme
Closing date: 12 June 2020
If you feel you are the right candidate for this Social Skills Coach role then please click ‘apply’ now! We’d love to hear from you!
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks which includes an enhanced DBS check as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK.